Wednesday, September 28, 2011

My New Favorite Quote

Tonya is reading "Tattoos on the Heart" by Father Gregory Boyle. I like when she reads books that I really want to but never make the time. I get the benefit of getting to hear the highlights!


She read a part of the book to me that have now become a new favorite quote.  Here it is.
‎"How do you work with the poor?...You don't. You share your lives with the poor. It's as basic as crying together. It is about 'casting your lot' before it ever becomes about 'changing their lot.'...Success and failure, ultimately, have little to do with living the Gospel. Jesus stood with the outcasts until they were welcomed or He was crucified -- whichever came first."
 We have learned ministry can all be boiled down to relationship. Father Boyle nails it here. If you are entering urban ministry, or any ministry for that matter, learn this first and learn this well. 


You should read it.



No comments: