Tuesday, December 23, 2003

The Testimony

The following is part of a speech/testimony given by Ramiro, a S.A.Y. Yes! student from Calvary Baptist Church in Compton. Some of our S.A.Y. Yes! team and I spoke at the Compton Salvation Army on Sunday, December 14th. Our staff speaks at churches, helping to cast the vision of wholistic youth discipleship. This is Ramiro’s testimony...

Hello, my name is Ramiro _____. I'm 15 years old and go to Dominguez High School. I've lived in Compton since I was 5 and I have been going to church since I was 6. I've been going to Calvary (Baptist Church in Compton) almost 10 years. My church has a S.A.Y. Yes! Center that's been open since I've been going there. S.A.Y. Yes! is an after-school program and it's a place to go have fun but at the same time learn about God. Some fun stuff I will always remember is going to Washington (State University), staying in the college dorms and playing football in Huskies Stadium. Another fun thing I remember is when we went to Missouri to a camp called "Kids Across America". It was a very fun camp but it really touched me spiritually through the singing and praising of God.

S.A.Y. Yes! has really helped me in many ways like homework, learning about computers and most of all is my walk with God. Every day we have a bible study and we learn more new things. Knowing God has been a beautiful thing in my life. Going to church has helped me through problems and has inspired me to want to do better. One person that has really helped me in my walk is Mr. Mike. He has been there for me since the beginning, answering questions, encouraging and pushing me to do better. He is no longer the S.A.Y. Yes! Director for my church but we still keep in touch and have bible study one day a week. I really want to thank him and his family for being a part of me and my family.

I just thank God for everything He has already done in my life and if it wasn't for S.A.Y. Yes! and church, I don't know where I would be. I have had many friends and family members that have made wrong choices in life that has hurt them already. But thanks to people like Mr. Mike and churches that want to do good things for the people in their community, I've made right choices in life. I still struggle with some things but with God, I'll make it through.

I think having a S.A.Y. Yes! Center here would be wonderful. It will reach out to many children and teens and will help them like it has for me.

Thank you.


**THIS WAS USED WITH RAMIRO'S PERMISSION

No comments: